How To Manage Stress And Anxiety
Studies suggest that people may manage stress and anxiety through non-conventional methods, such as yoga, mindfulness, and smart devices.1 Similarly, reports also show that patients suffering from depression, anxiety, and stress may benefit from regular meditation.
At some point, everyone experiences stress in their personal life or career. While stress is crucial for ensuring human survival and achieving set goals, a high-stress level can adversely affect human health.
In the same vein, stress could also affect your mood and well-being. Coupled with other health problems, it may complicate a person’s health, making it crucial to manage stress.2
That said, anxiety is another known health concern, which affects millions of people. People with anxiety find it challenging to live their daily lives due to fear or worry.
It is not uncommon for anxiety sufferers to exaggerate threats, which are usually unfounded. To ease anxiety, you can incorporate these techniques to make things easier.
Here are some suggested methods by experts known to improve stress, anxiety, and other health conditions:
Yoga is a Hindu philosophy characterized by systematic postures and breathing techniques used for promoting wellness. Today, people in the western world incorporate this technique as a means of staying fit and exercising.
Some studies show that yoga can improve anxiety or stress levels in children and adults. While some reports suggest no correlation between yoga and improved conditions, many admitted that exercise could foster wellness.
In 27 studies conducted on children and teenagers with different health conditions, investigators discovered that 70% of the participants recorded an improvement in their health statuses when they took yoga classes.3
More than 50% of the participants with anxiety and depression saw positive changes in their condition, while 40% of the children with depression saw an improvement.
Other studies have also established yoga’s effectiveness in complementing conventional health methods. It may also help in combating other mental health problems, drug addiction, and hypertension.
If you struggle with stress and anxiety, you can also integrate this exercise into your fitness routine to improve your health status.
Some smartwatches may also help you minimize your stress and anxiety level. These watches use an algorithm to detect stress levels and recommend ways to combat this condition.4
When this watch detects stress, it may suggest quick methods for relaxation, such as listening to music, going for a walk, or deep breathing.
Often, when humans are stressed, they sweat more, leading to an increase in skin conductance. Additionally, the body may become hotter, helping the device read your situation and also help you to improve the condition.
Luckily, numerous kinds of research have helped experts improve this innovation. And humans may also benefit from suggested methods for improved health.
Progressive muscle relaxation
Progressive muscle relaxation is another method to manage stress and anxiety. Other studies suggest that it may also relieve body aches and insomnia.5
The systematic tightening of muscles characterizes this exercise. During this exercise, you may need to tense one muscle group and relax the other.
After the exercise, you will feel more relaxed and relieved, especially if you suffer from anxiety. People struggling with stress will also enjoy similar benefits.
Studies have also known that this method is a promising approach to improving depression or anxiety. During a study, about 60 out of 275 participants saw a positive change in their health conditions when they practice progressive muscle relaxation.
Stress And Anxiety
Stress is a response to challenging situations. We become stressed when we face new challenges and when we are overwhelmed by events or situations.6
While everybody experiences stress, some people handle it better than others. This is due to some factors, such as genetics, personality, or circumstances.
We become stressed when stressors activate the immune system, leading to increased alertness. Stress helps us overcome difficult and dangerous situations by enabling us to respond faster to them.
However, high-stress levels can be dangerous to a person's health, especially when faced regularly. It may trigger other health conditions, such as anxiety and hypertension.
When you are stressed, you become sensitive, afraid or hyper, causing undesired body conditions. A study also established that stress could be a significant cause of depression.
During the study, the investigator realized that many people struggling with mental health disorders faced recent stressful situations, such a divorce, and unemployment.7
With that said, anxiety is a mental disorder characterized by fear and dread. 8 Many patients suffering from this condition are usually afraid of certain situations or events.
Today, there are different kinds of anxiety disorders, which makes it easier for patients to identify their condition and cultivate habits to improve it.
Despite being quite similar, stress and anxiety are significantly different. Still, stress may trigger anxiety, and anxiety may compound stress levels.
Fortunately, you can improve your state by learning new tricks and tips to manage your health conditions.
Coping With Stress
Coping with stress can seem daunting, especially when you lead a busy lifestyle. Every job comes with new challenges, which may worsen your stress level.
Still, you can subside your stress level by identifying stress triggers. Oftentimes, our conditions have triggers, and working on those stressors will enable us to minimize stress levels.
Here are some methods that can help us cope with stress:
- Practice self-care: Having sufficient time to practice self-care seems almost impossible when you have a busy schedule.7 However, you need to take care of yourself. You can schedule a day at the spa to enjoy some grooming or go out with friends to blow off some steam.
- Take breaks: You need to take breaks sometimes. This way, you are more refreshed to tackle new challenges and also proffer suitable solutions to problems. When you are overwhelmed, you will find it harder to concentrate or be productive.
- Minimize your alcohol intake: While alcohol may have some benefits, you should reduce your intake to improve your health condition. Alcohol contributes to increased stress levels, making it necessary to avoid it.
Tips To Manage Anxiety And Stress
Stress and anxiety are human responses to certain situations. Stress, for one, enables humans to respond rapidly to uncomfortable circumstances.9
However, you need to manage your stress and anxiety levels, especially if it happens consistently. Constant stress and anxiety impede your body's ability to fight diseases and may also trigger other ailments.
Below are some recommended ways for you to manage anxiety and stress:
- Reduce caffeine: Some studies suggest that coffee may worsen stress levels, so it will be best to reduce your intake or avoid it. While caffeine can keep you alert for the job ahead, it may cause Insomnia and sleep deprivation, which are culprits of heightened stress levels. 10 When you do not get enough sleep, you will become stressed and anxious.
- Exercise: Exercise is known to reduce stress levels as it helps the body produce endorphins. Endorphin is a hormone that makes you feel happy and energized.
- Meditate: Meditation is another helpful stress and anxiety management technique. Meditating is an act that requires quiet focus for an extended period. Research shows that it can control anxiety and stress levels, helping you feel relaxed and in control.
- Get adequate sleep: Sleep is a vital part of human existence. We need sleep to maintain good health status. This makes it necessary to get extended and quality sleep.
Healthy Ways To Cope With Stress
There are numerous ways to cope with stress. While these techniques may not eliminate stressors, they would make you more comfortable engaging in your daily tasks.
It’s safe to state that many things can trigger or cause stress. People changing jobs, relocating, or losing a loved one may notice higher stress levels due to the situation.
Luckily, you can use these healthy strategies for improving or even eliminating stress. Below are some healthy ways to cope with stress:
- Yoga: Yoga is an exercise known many people do to relax or stay fit. If you want to subside stress levels, you should consider taking yoga classes with a trained professional.
- Find a hobby: Hobbies are activities you love doing. If you love swimming, running or even cooking, you will become relaxed when you participate in them. You can use your hobby to improve your health state and explore new and fun activities.
- Rest: Stress makes you feel overwhelmed and tired. When this happens, you should take a break and rest. It would help if you maximized your breaks by eating healthy foods, drinking water, and going outdoors. Some studies assert that people exposed to a natural environment may see a reduction in psychological stress.11
- Meet new people: Meeting new people means that you get to make new friends and also learn new things. For most people, this is a relaxation technique, which may also improve their social interaction.
Stress and anxiety are prevalent medical concerns millions of people face daily. However, there are many techniques and tips you can incorporate to improve your anxiety and stress level. Studies recommend yoga, smart devices, progressive muscle relaxation to manage these conditions. Further, it would also be best to get adequate sleep, exercise, eat healthy food, and avoid alcohol and caffeine to improve conditions.